PlanetRomeo Foundation is an independent, registered non-profit fund, established in 2009 to contribute to the fight for equal rights and opportunities for LGBTQI+ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and non-binary) people. With the support of online platform Romeo BV, its users and other donors, PlanetRomeo Foundation established itself as an accessible and recognized funding partner for both its funded initiatives and the international LGBTQI+ funding field.
We are looking for a board member in charge of external Communications, an unpaid (volunteering) management board position for a period of three years starting as soon as possible (max. 0,5 days per week).
The communication strategy of PlanetRomeo Foundation has two main objectives:
- We are professionalising the fund to be able to approve and process more applications, so we can do more structural fundraising and increase our impact. The communications person will work closely together with the fundraising person (currently also a vacancy), to clarify our message to potential (corporate) sponsors: who is PlanetRomeo Foundation, what do we stand for, what are we trying to achieve, why are we an interesting and impactful partner for our future sponsors?
- Our external communications are part of our impact strategy: we can inform and inspire funded or future partners with stories or interviews of supported projects, we can amplify their stories on our platforms (website, FB, IG, Linked-In), we can reach, inform and inspire Romeo users through push messages on the Romeo dating app or newsletters, and we could reach a broader audience through press releases. All these efforts should be in line with the strategic communication plan. It would be your first task to start drafting this strategic communication plan together with the board team.
Overall, for the next 3 years, your most important tasks are:
- ✓ Developing and executing external communication strategy: Creating and sharing a strongstory around the impact of our partners and the fund itself;
- ✓ Measuring & evaluating communication expressions and, if necessary, adjusting the policyaccordingly, specifically in relation to fundraising;
- ✓ Writing and posting stories and articles on our (social) media platforms and website;
- ✓ You’re in charge of relationship management with the communications team of Romeo BV:you are often in contact with them about communications planning and how and when we
are able to share our stories with their users;
- ✓ Just like the other board members, you will read and assess funding applications about 3 to 4times a year. You join the assessment meeting where we decide which projects to fund that
- ✓ You write texts, and collect stories and photos for our Annual Report.The board meets every month, on the third Thursday in the evening. We alternate online meetings and meetings at the Romeo office in Amsterdam, next to Amsterdam CS. You need to be able to travel to the Romeo office when necessary. On top of the monthly meetings, we have one full day per year, where we discuss strategy. There are short check-in moments between different board
members throughout the month. The average workload is about half a day per week, with peaks and lows.
Who are we looking for?
You don’t need to meet all requirements, especially when you’re at an early stage in your career. The most important aspect is that you’re enthusiastic about the work of the Foundation, and that you have time and energy to help build our story and grow our impact.
- ✓ You are an LGBTQIA+ person, who wholeheartedly endorses our goals;
- ✓ Hands-on mentality and flexibility;
- ✓ (Extensive) experience with social media, writing texts and editing videos;
- ✓ You can plan and execute strategic plans and campaigns, after consulting the whole board.You like working together and discussing your ideas with a team;
- ✓ Communicate on different levels: you need to understand the situation of LGBTQI+ people indifferent places in the world. On the one hand, you will be working with small, grassroots, volunteer organisations around the world, on the other hand, you need to communicate and “speak the language” of potential corporate sponsors;
- ✓ You speak and write English fluently. You don’t need to speak Dutch (but we’re here for you if you want to practise);
- ✓ Experience in working at a fund is a plus, but we can get you up to speed if you haven’t. You don’t need board experience.We are currently an all-white board, 3 men, 1 woman and 1 non-binary person, ages between 29 and 70. We encourage candidates who are people of colour, trans, intersex or NB people, and recent grads and young professionals to apply!
What do we offer?
- ✓ An opportunity to gain board experience at an internationally renowned LGBTQI+ fund;
- ✓ The opportunity to read, learn from and support incredible initiatives, that have a directimpact on LGBTQI+ people and communities around the world;
- ✓ If our structural fundraising is successful due to your communications effort, you will havebeen directly responsible for improving the lives of LGBTQI+ people from Uganda to Fiji,
Bolivia to Sri Lanka, now, and in the future, long after your time in the board;
- ✓ Improve your writing and social media skills, learn from the professional communicationsteam of Romeo BV;
- ✓ Getting to know LGBTQI+ people from all over the world;
- ✓ To gain knowledge about the functioning of an international fund, come into contact withother funds and (strategic) partner organisations, learn about impact measuring and (re)shaping communication, funding and fundraising strategy.
We are a warm team of committed and passionate people who enjoy hanging out after meetings every once in a while.
About PlanetRomeo Foundation
PlanetRomeo Foundation gives one-time grants of maximum EUR 6.000,- to grassroots, emerging LGBTQI+ projects, where it’s needed most. We fund projects within 3 pillars: Community Building, Shelter and Sports/Culture. We are learning about trust-based finance, participatory grantmaking and decolonization, in our ongoing efforts to improve our organisation and impact. Over the last 14 years, the Foundation funded over 340 projects and spent over EUR 1,35 million in funding, in 88 countries. You can find our Annual Report 2022 on the website. (www.planetromeofoundation.org) The Management Board takes care of the Foundation’s ongoing activities: reviewing and granting funding requests, evaluating funded projects, management of the Foundation’s resources and fundraising, the Foundation’s long-term strategy and position and role of the fund. The Board reports about its work to the Supervisory Board. The Foundation has one paid freelancer, who helps us with project administration.
Information: Jos Koster (chair) 06 515 409 94
Application to: [email protected]
You can email us a letter, resume, video, portfolio: whatever you feel shows you best. Feel free to contact us first if you have any questions. Please include your social media handle(s) if your page is public, or other social media platforms you are or have been in charge of. If you have interviews or articles you wrote, or videos you’ve made, we’d love to see it.
There is no deadline: the vacancy is open until filled.
Thanks to everyone for your support!
Please follow us on instagram @planetromeofoundation