Request for application now closed.
PlanetRomeo Foundation provides funding up to € 5,000 to grassroots emerging LGBTI projects and initiatives. Our support focuses on achieving societal change in order to improve the position of LGBTI people throughout the world, with an emphasis on the most disadvantaged regions and communities. We also focus on mobilizing and activating the LGBTI community in those challenging contexts.
The Foundation gives high priority to small-scale projects which are initiated and implemented by the LGBTI community itself and/or by emerging LGBTI groups and initiatives. The projects must aim to involve, empower and mobilize the community. Projects may target sub-communities, e.g. lesbian and/or gay and/or bisexual and/or trans and/or intersex communities.
The Foundation strives for a balance between accessibility, quality and maintaining a good standard in project accountability. Criteria that will be taken into account in the assessment process are:
- quality of the project proposal;
- how realistic the approach is;
- foreseen impact;
- the degree to which the proposal is complementary to existing services and/or activities.
PlanetRomeo Foundation supports projects and initiatives under the following themes:
PlanetRomeo Foundation supports (initial) essential steps in community formation and organizing. These steps are crucial to the process of empowerment and a prerequisite to further community development and activism, and building critical mass to evoke change. Community Organizing focuses on joint efforts, not personal development. The Foundation aims to fund initiatives at an ignition point, where LGBTI people come together to organize themselves in the interest of their communities and to develop common goals. Community Organizing can take place offline and online.
Every day, all around the world, LGBTI people suffer from bullying, discrimination, exclusion, violence, imprisonment, even execution, and are generally at risk for their safety and their lives. PlanetRomeo Foundation supports initiatives that provide (temporary) basic Shelter facilities for LGBTI people, especially in those countries and regions where their safety and wellbeing is most at risk. Shelter projects can provide refuge and support around the clock, during the day or specific time slots. Activities in the shelter, that further support LGBTI people can be eligible for funding too.
Sports & Culture
PlanetRomeo Foundation believes sports and cultural activities can make a positive impact on other aspects and areas of people’s lives. The Foundation provides funding to projects that play a distinct role in mobilizing, connecting and strengthening local, disadvantaged LGBTI communities, or making these communities more visible.
What projects are eligible for funding?
- Projects which align with PlanetRomeo Foundation’s funding policy.
- The Foundation funds two categories of emerging initiatives:
- Initiatives of (relatively) new informal LGBTI groups or organizations with little or no access to other sources of funding;
- More experienced LGBTI organizations that develop new initiatives for which they have not yet previously received funding and are difficult to fund elsewhere.
- Although all geographical regions are eligible, the Foundation gives priority to countries outside the Global North. Within a country, all geographical areas are eligible, but where we can, we give priority to rural and/or more remote areas.
- Community Organizing projects focusing on community gatherings, as a starting point of LGBTI community/movement building, community workshops, etc.
- Community Organizing projects that focus on means through which LGBTI community members can share, exchange, find information, receive counselling online, especially in regions and countries where ‘offline’ community gatherings are impossible or dangerous.
- Community Organizing projects and initiatives for and with LGBTI people and their (chosen) families.
- Shelter projects that provide around the clock support (including sleeping facilities) and/or offer shelter and support during the day or specific time slots. Activities taking place in or attached to the shelter, that further support LGBTI people making use of the shelter, can be eligible too.
- Sports & Culture projects which also aim at empowerment, workshops, training, public awareness and/or other activities.
What projects do not qualify?
- Projects with health or political/religious aims as a primary objective.
- Projects which seek to cover overhead or fundraising costs as a primary objective.
- Projects from commercial organizations where financial profit is a goal or projects aimed solely at promoting an organization or event.
- Projects which seek to provide travel and accommodation or outreach costs for participation in (inter)national sports tournaments.
- Projects aimed at supporting art for art’s sake or supporting individual artists.
- Applications from individuals for travel, accommodation, living and/or study costs.
- Projects aimed solely or mostly at advocacy activities and/or establishing gay/straight alliances.
How to make a funding request
- Request for application currently closed.
- Please keep checking here for future dates.
- If you have submitted an application or request, please do not contact us. We will contact you as already planned.
When to make a funding request
- Please keep checking here for future dates