TransAkcija Institute enables support, informing, empowerment and alliance of transgender and gender non-conforming persons in Slovenia.
TransAkcija Institute is the first and only non-governmental organization devoted to human rights of transgender persons in the country. With our funding, TransAkcija hosted the first ever summer camp for transgender and gender non-conforming persons. In the funding proposal, TransAkcija stated that the summer camp would: “…legitimize their feelings of being worthy and valid individuals, which is a rare narrative for trans persons”.
Activities included workshops on topics like gender identity and gender expression, medical and social transitioning, coming out and self-care. Also, sports activities, movie screenings, and leisure activities were on the program. TransAkcija tried to make participants take ownership of the agenda of the camp and contribute to the event as much as they feel comfortable and capable.
- A five-day summer camp was held, with 18 people participating;
- The following activities were organized:
- Closed space sessions/educational workshops with topics like coming out, transmasculine space, asexual space, and more;
- Teambuilding activities;
- Personal counseling;
- Sports: hiking, walks in nature, football, basketball;
- Craft-making, such as origami, drawing, make-up sessions, and more;
- An evaluation was held with participants, as well as internally.