Right Side NGO, based in Armenia, is the first organization that focuses on transgender issues in that country.
Right Side was founded in January 2016, with the intent to make Armenia a better place for its marginalized and invisible trans* citizens. PlanetRomeo Foundation funds their project Home Safe Home, the first safe space for trans* and other community members. They hope to provide relief from the daily prejudice, threats, harassment, attacks and discrimination the trans* community faces.
In the safe space, they offer psychological and legal counseling, as well assistance from social workers. Also, informal educational training sessions are organized, covering a wide range of topics, including sexuality and safe sex. Various clubs offer courses, such as English language for beginners, physical and mental health, career and entrepreneurship development.
Project results so far
- Opened a safe space for trans* people in Armenia;
- 788 beneficiaries during all organized events;
- Assisting 6 trans* persons to legally change their name;
- Successfully set up cooperation with partner organizations;
- Launched their first “We Exist” Magazine.
- 85 advocacy buttons were produced and given out to fans and players;
- The tournament was attended by a crowd of more than 100 spectators.