Rainbow Armenia is a newly established LGBTQ+ initiative from Armenia. Their goal is to have an internationally integrated LGBTQ+ community, with equal opportunities for all.
In Armenia, the LGBTQ+ community faces homophobic attitudes and conservatism, especially in more rural areas. This creates a gap between these areas and the capital city, Yerevan, where more access to information and services is available.
Rainbow Armenia reached out to LGBTI people in areas where there is little or no access to relevant information, in order to empower and mobilize local communities. This was followed by a 4-day community gathering in Yerevan for LGBTI people from various regions. This project was the first of its kind for LGBTQ+ people from the countryside of Armenia.
- 4 outreach visits have been conducted in Gyumri, Goris, Vanadzor, Ijevan.
- 18 community members from all over Armenia joined the Colorful Gathering in Yerevan, where several activities were held such as:
- Exchanging experiences with each other;
- Discuss challenges for the LGBT+ community in Armenian regions and how to overcome these challenges;
- Presentations on topics important for the different regions in Armenia.
- Rainbow Armenia gave a presentation about the situation of LGBT+ people in the regions, including a discussion about the specific issues faced by the different regions and how organizations based in Yerevan can assist them.