Asocijacija Spektra is a trans-led organization from Montenegro, which aims to create a strong, visible, and influential trans* movement.
In Montenegro, trans* people face violence and discrimination in families, public, at work, schools, health care and within the legal system. Although trans* visibility and awareness about trans* issues among general society are increasing, this also seems to lead to more discrimination and violence towards trans*people.
We funded Asocijacija Spektra so they could spearhead trans* movement and community building in the country. This empowerment process required training in terms of capacity and knowledge, organizing joint actions and improving activism skills. These activities took place in a dedicated safe space, in order to provide the best learning environment.
- 5 educational videos were produced and posted on YouTube and Facebook;
- A performance called ‘Masks’ was performed live during Transgender Day of Remembrance, attracting a lot of media attention;
- Three youth-focused educational workshops were organized for 57 participants;
- Three art activities were held, which focused on giving the community a creative space to express feelings and ideas through art;
- Three trainings were held on the topics of self-exploration, trans activism, and self-care and wellbeing;
- A workshop was organized during Pride Week, and Spektra joined the pride march.