PlanetRomeo Foundation hereby proudly presents its second long-term strategic plan for the period 2013-2016. PlanetRomeo Foundation was established in 2009 by PlanetRomeo BV, owner and operator of planetromeo.com. The aim was and is to professionalize and expand the charitable work of PlanetRomeo BV, and also to make it more international. An independent foundation was regarded as a prerequisite in this respect, which would also create opportunities to involve the LGBTI community. During the first year of its existence, PlanetRomeo Foundation set out its mission, vision and strategic goals. It also established its administrative and accounting structure. In 2010, the Foundation succeeded in acquiring the formal and fiscal status of a Dutch registered non-profit organization (ANBI – Algemeen Nut Beogende Instelling). Additionally, the required management and operational procedures were put in place. In 2011, PlanetRomeo Foundation became fully operational and could actually start its charitable work. In 2012, the Foundation ran a ‘Suggest A Project’ campaign which enhanced the Foundation’s visibility and increased the number and quality of the funding requests received. This also lead to a substantial growth in the amount of funded projects in various parts of the world. In the same year, PlanetRomeo Foundation also launched its own website.
During a mid-2012 self-evaluation session it was concluded that PlanetRomeo Foundation now has a solid organizational structure with a professionally operating management board. As a result of its increased visibility, the Foundation was able to donate a substantial part of its resources, and thus further realizing its main objectives. However, based on growing experience with funding projects during the first years of its existence, the board realized that PlanetRomeo Foundation needed to formulate new ambitions, establish a more narrow focus in its funding policy, and develop additional fundraising strategies. This Long-Term Strategic Plan outlines the Foundation’s enhanced ambitions and sharpened policy intentions for 2013 to 2016.
Ambitions for 2013-2016
In the coming four years, PlanetRomeo Foundation aims at increasing its annual budget from €60,000 to €200,000. Although this is a challenging goal, the projected budget increase is considered to be a condition for the Foundation to make its work sustainable and to achieve genuine impact. This indicates that, apart from the ongoing financial support by PlanetRomeo BV, additional income needs to be generated. The planetromeo.com user community and advertisers will play a major role in the strategy to achieve this.
The growth envisioned may require an expansion of the competencies and capacities represented by the members of the management board and/or the supervisory board of PlanetRomeo Foundation. In achieving its ambition, the Foundation wants to strengthen its independence and maximize its transparency. This should further contribute to the Foundation’s intention to become an accessible, recognizable and esteemed organization in the eyes of the LGBT community. It will also help PlanetRomeo Foundation to become an acknowledged and serious partner for other charities and human rights organizations.
Priority Themes 2013-2016 and Funding Policy
Between 2013-2016, PlanetRomeo Foundation aims to support projects and initiatives under the following priority themes: Safety & Shelter, Education and Sports & Culture. In its funding policy the Foundation gives priority to projects which are initiated by the LGBTI community itself. These projects should aim to involve, mobilize and activate that same community. Precedence will be given to projects which have little or no access to mainstream sources of funding. In its efforts to support small scale community based projects, the Foundation strives for a good balance between accessibility, quality and maintaining a good standard in project accountability.
PlanetRomeo Foundation wants to establish a continuous cash flow that sufficiently warrants its charitable work. For 2013-2016, PlanetRomeo Foundation has identified two primary target groups of potential beneficiaries:
The first target group is the planetromeo.com user community. The overall approach of this group will be based on the principle ‘For the Community, By the Community’. Three strategies will be developed:
- A donation option for the visitors of the Foundation’s website;
- A donation option on the planetromeo.com website that will combine a donation option with the purchase of a membership to planetromeo.com;
- A 2014 crowdsourcing and crowdfunding campaign.
The advertisers of planetromeo.com are the second target group. A donation strategy will developed for them as well. PlanetRomeo Foundation will request the cooperation of PlanetRomeo BV for this.
The Foundation aims at further developing its communication strategy in 2013.
“For the community, by the community” is a core concept for PlanetRomeo Foundation. The Foundation aims to actively engage the community in making a contribution towards achieving its objectives. This concept relies on the existing solidarity within the LGBTI community. Wherever possible and necessary for achieving its objectives, the Foundation aims at further strengthening this solidarity. This will not be limited to asking for a mere financial contribution, but may also include involving the community in making suggestions and prioritizing initiatives to be supported. Via its website, planetromeofoundation.org, the Foundation not only provides news and information on its activities, but also will make an attempt to bond, captivate and appeal to their supporters on an ongoing basis.
PlanetRomeo BV and planetromeo.com users
The Foundation maintains a good relationship with PlanetRomeo BV, owner and operator of planetromeo.com. Firstly, PlanetRomeo BV has expressed its willingness to continue its financial support of the Foundation. Secondly, planetromeo.com currently has 1.8 million active users worldwide. It is to be expected that the greater part of this user community will be sympathetic towards the Foundation and its activities. In other words, this community represents a great potential that will be utilized further.
PlanetRomeo Foundation has the intention to build good relationships with other charities. This is seen as a requirement to acquire and strengthen its own position within this field of influence. Moreover, contacts with similar organizations on a regular base can enhance mutual quality improvement which can also have a positive influence on the decision making process of the Foundation. Finally, maintaining external contacts will contribute to making PlanetRomeo Foundation more widely known.
The asset management of PlanetRomeo Foundation is in line with both the guidelines for Dutch registered non-profit organizations (ANBI) and those set by the Dutch Central Bureau of Fundraising (Centraal Bureau Fondsenwerving). This implies, among other things, that the total cost the Foundation incurs for carrying out its objectives, does not exceed a quarter of its annual income.
In accordance with Dutch Guidelines on Annual Reporting for Fundraising Organizations (Richtlijn 650), a continuity reserve is held to ensure that the Foundation will be able to meet its future financial obligations. In determining the volume of this reserve, the Guidelines of Richtlijn 650 will be leading.
The available project budget will be allocated through regular quarterly review rounds, in which the funding requests are assessed by the management board. In the case of discontinuation of the Foundation, the eventual positive balance will be used for purposes in line with the objectives of the Foundation.
Long-Term Plan 2013-2016
The long-term plan outlines the activities the Foundation intends to develop over the coming years.
- To increase the project budget available, the Foundation website will be used to actively acquire donations from third parties.
- Also time and effort will be put into the further development of fundraising strategies, with a focus on the community in particular. To this end an overall communication plan will be developed in the first half of 2013.
- The aim for 2014 is to further expand the available project budget. As a logical consequence this will result in an increase of both the number of supported projects and the amount of project budget donated.
- 2015 marks the fifth anniversary of PlanetRomeo Foundation. In its external communication this anniversary could be reason for a special fundraising campaign.
- An initial focus point in 2013 is to ensure a balanced flow between the number of funding requests received and the granted project contributions.
- Attention will also be paid to further standardizing the way supported organizations account for the contribution granted to them by setting formats for both the narrative and the financial reports.
- Furthermore an interim evaluation will be done on the overall performance of PlanetRomeo Foundation. Based on past experience the Foundation’s policy regarding funding strategy, fundraising and communication will be further tuned.
- The Foundation wants to move towards a more direct involvement between donors and the supported projects. To this end, various possibilities in the field of crowd sourcing and crowd funding will be explored.
- It will also be examined to what extent the second defined target group, the advertisers of PlanetRomeo BV, is a potentially interesting source of revenue for the Foundation.
- Also the Foundation will make an effort to become a serious counterpart for other like- minded organizations.
- Based on previous experience with different fundraising strategies new campaigns and policies will be set out.
- The end of this long-term strategy plan period will again lead to an evaluation of the Foundation’s overall performance and policies. Based on this a new long-term strategy plan will be drafted for the period 2017-2021.
Multi Annual Budget
In accordance with the goals the management board set during the self-evaluation in 2012 the multi annual budget was drawn up and adopted.
Multi Annual Budget 2013-2016
|Revenue and Expenses [ in € ]||2013||2014||2015||2016|
|Donations PlanetRomeo BV||60,000||60,000||60,000||60,000|
|Overhead (see specification below)||9,000||10,500||13,500||18,000|
|Communication and PR||1,000||1,000||2,000||2,500|
|Bank and Transfer Cost||1,500||1,500||2,000||2,500|
|Travel and Accomodation||500||500||500||500|
|% Overhead relative to Income||8.2%||6.6%||6.4%||6.9%|
Notes to the Multi Annual Budget 2013-2016
- It is to be expected that PlanetRomeo BV again is willing to make a monthly donation of 5,000 euro towards PlanetRomeo Foundation in the period 2013-2016. In 2013 a communication plan including a fundraising strategy will be developed. The management board of PlanetRomeo Foundation believes that, through new online fundraising strategies, an annually increasing amount of donations will be received.
- The aforementionend online fundraising strategies are expected to result in a further, gradual growth of the available budget for project funding.
- The members of both the Management Board and Supervisory Board offer their services on an unpaid basis. In some cases inevitable cost, like travel cost are reimbursed.
- In compliance with Dutch guidelines on annual reporting for fundraising organizations and in order to maintain its formal and fiscal status as a registered charity, an annual audit report is required. This leads to inevitably high accountant cost.
- PlanetRomeo BV also makes an annual in kind donation for the services they provide to PlanetRomeo Foundation. This is set in a so-called Service Agreement. These services include the provision of staff, office space and inventory. This allows PlanetRomeo Foundation to maintain its overhead cost at the lowest level possible. It aims at a rate of less than 10% of its annual income.