Pakasipiti Zimbabwe facilitates female soccer practices amongst young LBTs. With PlanetRomeo Foundation’s support recruited new female soccer players from different areas and invited them for weekly training sessions where they could develop their skills in a safe environment.
The sports activities were the gateway to more educational activities like training on human rights, sexuality and LGBT advocacy. Pakasipiti Zimbabwe also organized several soccer tournaments.
Pakasipiti carried out the following activities:
- Created a safe space for the LBT community, where they feel free to engage, participate, share and learn from each other’s different experiences.
- Organized LBT soccer tournaments in Harare and Bulawayo.
- Held workshops and trainings regarding safety, security and understanding sexuality.
- Hosted a focus group discussion on gender verification testing in sport and collected real life experiences from players who participated in professional tournaments.
- Organized soccer game and celebrations for the International Day against Homo-, Bi- and Transphobia (IDAHOT) in cooperation with other organizations.
- Coordinated Sunday social games comprising three teams: the Unicorns, the Amigos and the Legends together with former players and teams already playing in the women’s premier league.
- Continued social media engagement.